Need help configuring tux and apache to work together for localhost and virtual hosting

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at vgernet.net
Tue Mar 16 22:47:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:45:33 -0500, Chris Davies <mcd at daviesinc.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 13:21, Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. wrote:
>> But now I have a different problem. I can no longer see the default host
>> on the linux machine.  (/var/www/html is no longer accessible from
>> either
>> my linux machine or from my windows machine via the lan.)
> what virtual host is set to answer for /var/www/html

linux.net, but it does not answer any requests

>> However, I can no longer see the linux local host site from either the
>> linux machine or the W2K machine.
>> Entering http://192.168.0.2/ on the W2K machine simply produces a blank
>> screen after some delay.
> do you have ServerName 192.168.0.2 defined somewhere?

I don't think so. I didn't have ServerName in httpd.conf for this address.
Tux is supposed to listen to everything on port 80.

I tried adding ServerName 192.168.0.2 to httpd.conf, but it did not make
any difference.

SeverName linux.net is defined in httpd.conf
I tried changing it to 192.168.0.1 as well as to 127.0.0.1, but neither
worked.

>> Entering http://127.0.0.1/ on the linux machine does the same.
> do you have ServerName 127.0.0.1 defined somewhere?

I tried changing / adding ServerName 127.0.0.1 to httpd.conf.  It didn't
make any difference.

>> The tux log does not show a GET request corresponding to either of these
>> events.  Neither does the apache log.
>> It looks like the request is not being seen by Tux.
>
> telnet 192.168.0.2 80
> GET / HTTP/1.0
> Host: 127.0.0.1
>
> (then hit enter twice)

The "80" part doesn't work.
I can start telnet and then open 192.168.0.2.
GET / HTTP/1.0 returns a web page with a directory of the linux machine
"/" before the Host: line can be typed.

>> I can read file://localhost and get the root directory of the linux
>> system
>> (from the linux system), but,
>> http://localhost/ just comes back blank.
> is it defined in apache as a valid servername?
>
> i.e. ServerName localhost

hosts.conf has

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost linux.net xenodochy.org
ballroomdances.org