Need help configuring tux and apache to work together for localhost and virtual hosting

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at vgernet.net
Wed Mar 17 03:39:00 UTC 2004

Based on questions and some trial and error, I think I have the problem
solved, but don't ask me how. :)

My system crashed completely - just locked up everywhere with some
repeated disk access like an infinite loop.  When it came back up after I
pressed the reset button, localhost and all the IP addresses worked fine.

I had been experimenting with changes based on the questions, so I don't
remember exactly what may have been changed.

I have confirmed that the order of the addresses in the host file does not
seem to matter. It also doesn't seem to matter whether the httpd.conf file
has "ServerName Linux.net" or "ServerName 127.0.0.1", as I have tested
both of these after the restart (restarting tux and httpd for each test).

Gremlins!