"They have full address space protection"

Philip Smolen philip at trade-ideas.com
Fri Oct 8 22:18:55 UTC 2004

I was curious how stable TUX is when a user space module misbehaves.

I modified demo2.c to work at first, then cause a segmentation fault.
if (count++ == 15)
{
  *((char *)0) = 'X';
}
This locked up TUX.  I couldn't stop it with "/etc/init.d/tux stop".  The rest of the computer was okay, but TUX wouldn't go down until I rebooted.

I am using version 3.2.18 of TUX, as built and delivered in Fedora.

Is this the expected behavior of TUX, or is this a bug?  Based on the documentation, I expected TUX to recover.