tux on 2.4.27 kernel and referrer checking

William Lovaton williama_lovaton at coomeva.com.co
Thu Oct 28 16:25:08 UTC 2004

Cool!

I guess that a server is stable (not only 2.6) just when it is doing
very specific tasks.  In my case it runs an enterprise web app with
Apache, PHP, Oracle (The DB is in another server).  Around 900
concurrent users.  This is 99.9% of the usage pattern.

Another little web app installed in that server needs to send mail so it
uses sendmail too and uses and alternate mail server to make the actual
delivery.

It has xinetd activated with telnet, sshd and ftp (for remote admin
purposes).  This is an intranet server BTW.

And from time to time I run X apps to show them in a remote display (my
workstation) to check some statistics and do some maintenance (gkrellm,
system-config-* tools, etc).

May be there are people running lots of things in a single hardware,
let's say: Apache/PHP, Tomcat, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Any mail server, FTP,
Samba, NFS, Squid, IRC, etc, etc.  And suppose that the usage pattern is
equally distributed between all the services.

Obviously, under such scenario is more posible to get caught in a system
crash.  But even so I think almost any linux kernel should be up to the
task.

-William