[OT] 2.6 kernel

joe joe at tmsusa.com
Thu Oct 28 19:03:14 UTC 2004

Marek Habersack wrote:

>Well, IMNSHO, using a server for more than one task is generally a sign of
>bad infrastructure design (if you can afford to invest in infrastructure, of course).

It all depends on the customer environment and expectations. The mom and
pop business that coughs up an old pc for me to convert into a linux
system can't afford, and don't require the sort of infrastructure that
would be demanded by a large multinational corporation. I do linux work
for customers at both ends of the spectrum, and am happy to give the
customer whatever degree of redundancy and support they require, or
don't require.

So with the big multinationals, we have multiple linux dns servers,
multiple linux mail gateways, etc, all with several hundred day uptimes
- in either case, a single system is 99% likely to suffice, but the
bigger companies demand most of that last 1% as well.

Joe