404 Error

Chris Davies mcd at daviesinc.com
Tue Sep 21 17:30:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 15:42 +0900, Batara Kesuma wrote:
> I just noticed that my TUX server doesn't return 404 even if the file
> doesn't exist. No error, the browser just keeps loading until time out.

is the file named 404.html and in the root of the document?

are you sure it just keeps loading or is it doing redirects?

If you're using IE, is the 404.html document padded to 520+ bytes so
that the smart error messages don't kick in?

telnet port 80
GET /asdf HTTP/1.0

see what it returns -- I'm guessing it probably returns a 302 rather
than a 404.

What does the tux log say?  is it redirecting it to the backend?