Re: Maximum performance for caching

ps ax | grep -w '[DRZ]'
that will show you all processes running, in D state (waiting for I/O)

and zombies

perhaps that'll help you out

I tried this, and on a random time, I have an average of 3 D state. Is this normal?

not really
a process in D state is waiting for I/O. If you have a high number of D state processes, this usually means some drive is fscked or an NFS server you're using has gone out for lunch

roy