Trouble starting TUX

David Pesta davidpesta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 01:20:17 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I installed and ran TUX just fine in the past without any
complications.  Since then I have restored my server and reinstalled
it.  The TUX service will not start.

Here is what I did:
I downloaded tux-3.2.19-2.i386.rpm and matched the checksum at
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2004-389.html

rpm -i tux-3.2.19-2.i386.rpm
service tux start
(At this point I get "could not initialize TUX!")

So I continued with my previously successful TUX configuration
protocols to see if that would make it work:
  # cd /proc/sys/net/tux
  # echo "1" >virtual_server
  # echo "81" >clientport
  # vi /etc/sysctl.tux and place into it:
net/tux/virtual_server = 0
net/tux/clientport = 81
net/tux/referer_logging = 0
net/tux/logging = 0
net/tux/max_keepalives = 2000
net/tux/keepalive_timeout = 15
net/tux/TDprintk = 0
net/tux/Dprintk = 0
net/tux/generate_cache_control = 1
net/tux/generate_etags = 1
net/tux/generate_last_mod = 1
net/tux/defer_accept = 0
  # vi /etc/sysconfig/tux
    - Comment out LOGFILE with # (this will for sure turn off TUX
logging, because LOGFILE will force logging even if net/tux/logging =
0)
  # vi /etc/tux.mime.types
    Change: #TUX/redirect                   redir
        To: TUX/redirect                   php

Here is exactly what I get when I try to start TUX:
[root at enterprise /]# service tux start
Starting tux: net.tux.virtual_server = 0
net.tux.clientport = 81
net.tux.referer_logging = 0
net.tux.logging = 0
net.tux.max_keepalives = 2000
net.tux.keepalive_timeout = 15
net.tux.TDprintk = 0
net.tux.Dprintk = 0
net.tux.generate_cache_control = 1
net.tux.generate_etags = 1
net.tux.generate_last_mod = 1
net.tux.defer_accept = 0
Tux version: 3/0/0
could not initialize TUX!
                                                           [FAILED]
[root at enterprise /]#

The last time I had TUX working, it was great!  I really look forward
to the advantages of having TUX as the frontend server of static
content.

Thank you for your help,
David