TUX not relaying requests?

William M. Shubert wms at igoweb.org
Sat Jul 23 00:44:03 UTC 2005

Hello. I am trying to set up tux with tomcat for the dynamic content.
Everything runs great, except that Tux does not forward the requests! I
can't figure out why. I tried running a kernel recompiled with debugging
for tux turned on, but the kernel started taking panics (I saw in these
archives that this is a known issue). I'm hoping somebody will know off
the top of their head what is wrong. Here's the details:
      * FC3, with kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3smp (the latest at the moment)
        and the tux module that comes with it. When started it
        identifies itself as "Tux version: 3/0/0", the RPM file for the
        user space tools is tux-3.2.18-2.
      * Tux is listening on port 80. "cat /proc/sys/net/tux/clientport"
        returns 8080 (which is the port where tomcat is running).
      * "wget http://localhost/gls/glsApplet.jar" is static content, and
        works perfectly. Tux writes the request result properly into the
        log, so I'm sure that Tux is handling this one.
      * "wget http://localhost:8080/gls/userInfo.jsp" is dynamic
        content, and works perfectly, so I know that Tomcat is properly
        listening on port 8080 and answering requests.
      * "wget http://localhost/gls/userInfo.jsp", however, is the
        problem. It is my understanding that since this file does not
        exist, tux should relay the request to tomcat. Instead, I get
        back "404: Not found". The Tomcat logs indicate that it did not
        see any request come in at all.
I've poked everywhere I could. I added "jsp" as a content type with
"TUX/redirect" to tux.mime.types, it didn't help. I created files named
"userInfo.jsp" in /var/www/html/ tree. This returns the dummy file if
"jsp" is *NOT* in tux.mime.types, but returns 404 if "jsp" *IS* set up
as redirect in tux.mime.types. I tried binding tomcat's listen port to
IP address 127.0.0.1 and leaving it wildcarded; this doesn't change
anything. I tried replacing tomcat with apache; again no change. It just
really, really, looks like tux isn't even trying to forward the requests
to the dynamic content web server.

Is there some setting I'm missing that can cause this? Some test I can
run that might give more information? Any help is appreciated!