Perserving longer time static pages onc caches?

X X lisbon2006 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 09:24:47 UTC 2006

Hi

I'm using tux and apache on same server.
Tux serves static pages and dynamic ones are redirect/served by apache

how may I tell to all cache systems between client and tux/apache servers
that those static pages should remain valid for longer periods?

If I edit /etc/tux.mime.types and for example change

image/gif   gif | 3600

image/gif  gif | 7200

would it tell caches that documents of type gif will remain valid for 2hours
instead of only 1 hour?

Would it benecessary to change something on apache (1.3) config file?
I guess it won't be needed as it will only serve redirected requests from
tux
for dynamic contents.

thanks
Cheers