TUX kernel panic - directory for log file doesn't exist...? (additional)

Kyrian kyrian at ore.org
Wed Jun 28 22:24:13 UTC 2006

All,

Well, although it's not an SMP kernel *package* there were still reports
of SMP tomfoolery in the output of dmesg, as follows:

found SMP MP-table at 000f4ca0
Using x86 segment limits to approximate NX protection
Enabling APIC mode:  Flat.  Using 1 I/O APICs
Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information
Allocating PCI resources starting at 40000000 (gap: 3ff00000:bed00000)

Therefore I have taken the (usually sane) step of disabling APIC and
ACPI in the kernel parameters, and will see if this stops the random
lockups.

This has had the effect of removing the latter section's reference to
SMP, what that means in english, I have very little idea ;-)

I'm not going to risk restarting TUX again without a reboot because I
don't want to lose the damn server.

This vexes me though. I've never had any problems with it before, and
it's worked like a charm (on single processor boxes, or quad processor
ones, although having just checked, both sites are running 2.4 kernels).
Are there any other caveats I need to know about, or is it just with 2.6
kernels?

K.