notes on thttpd/lighttpd Re: Tux Crash (same as Thierry dM's?)

Kyrian kyrian at ore.org
Tue Sep 5 14:15:57 UTC 2006

Folks,

I'd dearly like to get these TUX bugs fixed myself, but don't have the
slightest idea where to start.

Anyways, I've tried thttpd, and lighttpd on various different
installations having abandoned TUX, and I've found both to be more than
adequate at solving the Apache+PHP memory consumption issue, by
offloading content to them. Speed is nothing to grumble about either.

However two things of likely operational interest that I noted were:

thttpd barfs on slightly malformed urls, eg. for:

http://thttpd.mysite.com/images/mysite.gif

It would barf on:

http://thttpd.mysite.com//images/mysite.gif

... and refuse to serve the image. Although it wouldn't crash out and
totally kill your server ;-)

Also, I don't think thttpd has any equivalent behaviour to Apache's
'mod_status', where Lighttpd does have vaguely equivalent behaviour.

K.