Re: At starting it take prolonged time to detect NFS and Sendmail

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Mikkel,
>
> At 11:01 AM 11/30/2002 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >  - snip -
> > > >
> > > Samba server
> > >
> >That is interesting!  I can see why you get delays.  You realy should
> >set your hostname to something valid.  You can ether edit
> >/etc/sysconfig/network, and change HOSTNAME, or you can run you faverite
> >configuration utility.  Try changing your hostname to "m40g." and
> >updating hosts to have "m40g." instead of" M40G". (Do not type ")
>
> Why should I change "M40G" to lower case.  The computer name "M40G" is all
> in capital letter.  Besides what will be the function of  "."  (fullstop)

Well, lowercase is how hostnames are normaly looked up.  It probably
will not make any difference.  But there are times when using uppercase
names can cause you problems.  One common place is when you create user
names.  A username with uppercase letters in it will not be able to
recieve mail on most systems.  This is because mail systems normaly
conver user names to all lowercase before trying to deliver them.
Unfortunitly, this means it can not deliver ot a user that has uppercase
letters in their name.

Now, will this bother you in a host name?  Probably not.  But you may
find some programs that count on the host name in lowercase.  As all of
my host names are in lowercase, I do not know what programs would give
you trouble.

As for the . after the host name. this has the effect of causing the
system to not tack a domain onto the host name. "m40g" normaly becomes
"m40g.<your domain>" while "m40g." stays "m40g".

Mikkel

This email is brought to you by mailtag.com!
Home of free email, and cheap internet!
http://www.mailtag.com