How can I boot the server from serial port?

Hi,

Recently I installed console server (PortServer TS16) to access Linux
servers installed on the remote site.  As the application runnning on the
server is not stable enough, the server hung up very often and I have to
contact operators on remote site to turn off/on the power switch on the
server.

When I used Solaris, I used to telnet to console server and send "send brk"
to that serial port and got the boot prompt, which made me to reboot the
server eventually.

If I'd like to do the same thing as I used to do with Solaris, what type of
changes would be neceessary on Linux side?  Current kernel version is
2.4.18-17.7.

Thank you.

Masako Kinoshita
E-mail: masako_kinoshita forcia com