Connection refused (but why?)

All,

I have run into a truly strange problem with my Redhat 7.3 laptop. When I try to telnet or FTP into this machine I get "connection refused" for the IP number of that machine. Now I know you're thinking that telnet and FTP services are still disabled or that I have dissallowed access from hosts.allow or hosts.deny. Nope... these files are all set up properly.

One clue is that portmap has a problem. Mountint NFS file systems does not work properly on this machine. I've looked over what little I know of portmap configuration and looks ok.

So are there any known configuration mistakes one could make that would affect portmap like this?

-- John