Floppy stumper

I have a box that is giving me nightmares. Another problem has raised its ugly head, so here goes.

1. I downloaded ans saved to floppy a driver tar that I needed using my laptop which is running 8.0 with the upgrade on the kernel to 18-18. The problem box has 8.0 with kernel 18-14.
2. The floppy is msdos formated I formated it that way on three different machine to make sure.
3. I reset the file permissions to allow anybody rwx access.
4. I put the floppy in the problem box and opened it. No files are visible.
5. I saved some log files on the floppy on the problem box.
6. I reset the permissions to give the world access.
7. I put the floppy back in my laptop. Only the original file I saved is visible.

What switch or setting do I need to make where so that I can see all of the files avery where?
I do need to be able to upload the log files with another message to solve other problems. Until I can get a working NIC in the problem box I can't get very far.
Thanks in advance.