changing root pass with a boot floppy

I created a boot disk on floppy and need to change the root password. What are the step by step instructions for this? I have tried booting in single user mode and editing GRUB by inserting the word "single" at the end of the kernal line, but that did not seem to get me into single user mode. Any suggestions?