Re: samba-2.2.7-1.7.3 and pam_smbpass.so

dallas australiazoo com au wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 08:46, z wrote:
>
>> Did anyone up2date to samba-2.2.7-1.7.3? If so, did you experience
>> any problems with pam afterwards? (that is, if you are using
>> pam_smbpass.so to sync Windows users' passwords with linux
>> passwords)
>>
>> On my sys, i couldn't change passwords anymore! (not smbpasswd -
>> just plain old passwd) eg:
>>
>> [root wizard root]# passwd Changing password for user root. passwd:
>> Module is unknown
>>
>> eep - that was spooky. pam_smbpass.so was not on my sys anymore,
>> though winbind was. Not having much time, i just backpedaled to
>> 2.2.3 - but i want to know what happened. Did i just get a bad rpm
>> download (i thought up2date checks md5sums...), or is
>> pam_smbpass.so deprecated?
>>
>> thanks, z
>>

> [<pts/0> dallas sa dallas]$ rpm -qa |grep samba samba-2.2.7-1.7.3
>
> [<pts/0> dallas sa dallas]$ passwd Changing password for user dallas.
>  Changing password for dallas (current) UNIX password: New UNIX
> password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: all authentication tokens
> updated successfully. [<pts/0> dallas sa dallas]$
>

> worked for me :)  I tried to slocate for pam_smbpass.so and I do not
> have it on my rh7.3/2.4.18 linuxbox.  I am not sure if I had the file
>  prior to upgrading.  I've never done anything to pam before (that i
> know of) configuration or otherwise...  This is my only box with
> samba on it so I can't check my other machine..
>
> it might have been something local :)

Thanks for checking. Do you have your samba configured to sync /etc/samba/smbpasswd with /etc/passwd ? If not, i don't think (the non-existent) pam_smbpasswd.so would be invoked. If so... i have some figure out to do. :)

thanks again, z

// ps
// i don't know the ettiquete (or how to spell it :) of this forum, i
// hope it's alright for me to cc the list.