Passive mode in FTP

How do you complete a binary transfer using the ftp service?

I am trying to download a file from another site, and everytime I try to transfer the file, it switches to passive mode and then freezes.

I understand FTP starts in Passive mode by default, but is there a way to switch to binary. Even while trying to transfer I type binary in the client but still downloads in passive.

Any help would be appreciated.