PATH variable construction.

Here is an example of having to forget something when you learn something. I
used to know this. How is the user's $PATH variable constructed. It seems
rc.sysinit, /etc/profile and finally .bash_profile are involved; but there
must be a step I am missing because my paths contain directories that don't
from any of these. For example, where is /usr/local/bin added?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.