Scripting question

Hi everyone,
I am wondering if there is a way for a script to read data from a file. I have roughly 300 users on my machine, and I am building a new machine that I want to move the users to. The make.user script that I wrote does a lot of stuff for the users, so I can't really just copy the passwd and shadow files to the new machine. What I want to do is make a list of the current users in a file, then have the script get the info from that file and create all the users.

Let me know if there is a way to do this..

Thanks,
Jake