Re: LAN Domain Server

> Samba is your friend.  It can emulate an NT4 domain
> controller quite well, from what I understand.

Samba is indeed your friend. You will need to follow the directions for
setting up the smb.conf file as a Domain Controller. The one thing the
docs are not very good at is detailing how you make your workstation
*join* the domain.

Here is what works for me to add W2K to a Samba domain:

1. First add the Trust account for the machine we will call "ernie"
# adduser -d /dev/null -s /bin/false ernie$

(NOTE: Notice the "$" on the end of the workstation name -- vitally
important!!)

2. Reboot "ernie". IMPORTANT: do not browse the server before you begin
this operation of it will fail with messages about already having
connections established!
- My Computer
- Control Panel
- Network & Dialup Connections
- Network Identification
- Properties
- Put your domain in the "domain" box

It will then ask you for a user with "authority". Use "root" and your
root password on the server box.

3. Add your users to the domain ie:
smbuser -a bob

The -a is to "add" a user otherwise to just change the password
for "bob" leave it out.

Now that you are signing on to the "Domain" and not the local PC, and
presuming you were using the PC's to browse the server before I assume
your login ID's matched that of the linux box, remember that the user
bob\ernie (user bob on the local machine) is completely different than
bob\mydomain (user bob on you domain called "mydomain"). This means all
the Windows Profiles will need to be copied over from one user to the
other.

Good luck,
dbc.
--
David B. Cook <davidc advan ca>

The system said "designed for Windows NT or better." So I installed
Linux.