Re: RH8 & XFS

Laurent, Philippe wrote:

I feel like a total kludge here... can't find any of the information I need.
Specifically, does anyone know what filesystems RH8 supports out of the box?

Thanks for your tolerance.

The 8.0 installer only supports ext2 and ext3. Using anything else for your / partition is fairly hard.

The redhat kernel supports reiserfs, and jfs as modules. 8.0 provides the required programs to create, and maintain these filesystems. So you can fairly easily create data partitions using these partitions.

XFS is a bit harder, but can be done. You need to switch to a kernel that supports xfs, and get the xfsprogs package. I'm running RH8.0 on a system with xfs data partitions.