Re: compile differences ?

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 07:59, Allan M. Stewart wrote:
> I can understand tar and rpm's being different because of mtimes,  as
> Gordon said. But these are executable binaries straight out of gcc.

I misunderstood.  I thought you were talking about packaged executables,
and not the executables themselves.

I don't see differences in applications built here.  By default, gcc
should produce the same output every time.  However, you may have items
in your build that affect that... For instance, you may have macros that
reflect the time the binary was built.  Look at the options passed to
gcc during the build, and look at all of the macros defined in your
source.

> I ran "nm" on the files and redirected output to files. The 2 files
> compared exactly, so the symbol tables are the same. I stripped both
> versions of the executable and they compare exactly. WTF?

What do you mean when you say that they "compare exactly"?  Do they
match size and md5sum after stripping the binary?