Re: Gconfd startup errors at GNOME login

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 14:48, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> There is a better fix in 8.0. (Users will get a dialog offering to
> clear the lockfile.)

Hi, thanks for replying.

A dialog is better then nothing, I suppose.  But still not an incredibly
thrilling answer.  I was hoping that 8.0 would have a proper fix.

> You are probably sseeing bug #59245.

It sounds like a possibility but unlike in that bug report the
workstations seem to be registering the server's IP in
/var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/.

I suspect that the problem is linked to (but not necessarily exclusive
to) users doing unexpected poweroffs/reboots.  Also, if the user asks
for a reboot via the Gnome menu gconfd seems to still be running when
the shutdown script gets to forcing NFS unmounts.  That can't be good.

Would a user logging in at multiple stations at once cause this too?  I
have ORBIIOPIPv4=1 in /etc/orbitrc but I'm not sure if it's working
because none of the workstations appear to be listening on any
additional TCP or UDP ports.

The last entry on bug #59245 was on July 6th without any clear
resolution... Do you think that this issue has been dropped?

Thanks,
Sean