Re: Gconfd startup errors at GNOME login

Sean Millichamp <sean compu-aid net> writes:
> On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 14:48, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > There is a better fix in 8.0. (Users will get a dialog offering to
> > clear the lockfile.)
>
> Hi, thanks for replying.
>
> A dialog is better then nothing, I suppose.  But still not an incredibly
> thrilling answer.  I was hoping that 8.0 would have a proper fix.

In 8.0 you can also do "export GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS=1" in a script in
/etc/profile.d, but there's a denial of service attack where users can
prevent each other from logging in by creating someone else's lockfile
in /tmp. If you're not concerned about that you can avoid NFS locking
entirely.

> > You are probably sseeing bug #59245.
>
> It sounds like a possibility but unlike in that bug report the
> workstations seem to be registering the server's IP in
> /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/.

I'm not sure it was ever established that was the problem.

> I suspect that the problem is linked to (but not necessarily exclusive
> to) users doing unexpected poweroffs/reboots.

That's what causes 59245.

> Also, if the user asks
> for a reboot via the Gnome menu gconfd seems to still be running when
> the shutdown script gets to forcing NFS unmounts.  That can't be
> good.

That shouldn't matter (other than it slowing down the shutdown).

> Would a user logging in at multiple stations at once cause this too?  I
> have ORBIIOPIPv4=1 in /etc/orbitrc but I'm not sure if it's working
> because none of the workstations appear to be listening on any
> additional TCP or UDP ports.

Multiple logins might cause other issues, but I don't think it would
cause this one. You can easily check if the orbitrc thing is working;
"gconftool-2 -R /apps/metacity" or something on two machines with same
user home directory, see if there's only one gconfd-2 process between
the two machines, and the gconftool call works.

> The last entry on bug #59245 was on July 6th without any clear
> resolution... Do you think that this issue has been dropped?

Just waiting to make it to the top of the priority queue of someone
who understands NFS.

Havoc