Re: Firewall: Please Advise

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:01:13PM -0700, jdow wrote:

> I found a lot of plaintive cries in the wilderness about this issue
> that had no followup messages on google. Such howto help as TLDP
> featured was rather weak on IPTables, especially for something that
> has been around for as long as they have been. IPChains are rather
> admirably covered. The inescapable conclusion is that the people who
> are cocerned about home office firewalls and such are still using
> 2.2 level kernels and IPChains because of the aditional facilities
> present.

Wrong conclusion. The reason for lack of LDP docs on iptables is that
netfilter has their own excellent docs, and to date they haven't
wanted to contribute them to LDP (despite being asked on multiple
occassions). It would be a daunting task for an independent author to
duplicate what they have done already. Of course, anyone who wants to,
could tackle this. And who is going to do a better job than the
developers themselves? Its unfortunate, especially since Rusty has his
ipchains howto at LDP.

--
Hal Burgiss