Re: Firewall: Please Advise

From: "Hal Burgiss" <hal foobox net>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:01:13PM -0700, jdow wrote:
> >
> > I found a lot of plaintive cries in the wilderness about this issue
> > that had no followup messages on google. Such howto help as TLDP
> > featured was rather weak on IPTables, especially for something that
> > has been around for as long as they have been. IPChains are rather
> > admirably covered. The inescapable conclusion is that the people who
> > are cocerned about home office firewalls and such are still using
> > 2.2 level kernels and IPChains because of the aditional facilities
> > present.
>
> Wrong conclusion. The reason for lack of LDP docs on iptables is that
> netfilter has their own excellent docs, and to date they haven't
> wanted to contribute them to LDP (despite being asked on multiple
> occassions). It would be a daunting task for an independent author to
> duplicate what they have done already. Of course, anyone who wants to,
> could tackle this. And who is going to do a better job than the
> developers themselves? Its unfortunate, especially since Rusty has his
> ipchains howto at LDP.

Of course, as mentioned, the documentation on the netfilter site did
not address the issue either. I was and am in a big enough "convention
rush" to get some projects showable at a convention starting wednesday
that the delay became rather irritating. Had adequate documentation
existed I might have kept my blood pressure lower, so to speak. All the
documentation I found declared tables were a whole lot better than
chains except for its protocol support and oh by the way in some cases
modules are not needed with tables. Of course, leaving it at that was
lame++. Had they simply given a list of modules not needed anymore and
the incantations that proved it I'd have been far happier. I do read
documentation presented when moving into new territory. I'm not a guy
so I am permitted to read roadmaps and ask directions. {^_-}

{^_^}