Re: serial console

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:46:07PM -0500, Justin Georgeson wrote:
> I'm curious, is there a way to get a serial console running in a booted
> system? (just running the getty command doesn't seem to do it) Are they
> maybe some kernel modules I can load? I've looked at the tldp page, and
> that did seem to work (on my home machine), but I'd prefer to be able to
> test a connection before rebooting, since my server is 150 miles away.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Justin Georgeson
> UnBound Technologies, Inc.
> http://www.unboundtech.com
> Main   713.329.9330
> Fax    713.460.4051
> Mobile 512.789.1962

Try using 'agetty', part of the util-linux package. I have an entry
in /etc/inittab for a TeleVideo terminal that looks like:

s1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 9600 adm5

Substitute your serial port, speed and terminal type as appropriate.
You will probably need a null modem adaptor or cable.

--
Jim Kaufman		mailto:jmk linuxforbusiness net
Linux Evangelist	cell: 612-481-9778