RE: Samba vs. LPR for Win2k/WinXP printing?

Steve,

I have my Win2000 computer set up to print on an LPR printer that is hosted,
not by a Linux box in this case, but by a small Intel Netpro Express PRO/100
print server.  Though I can't tell you the Linux side of LPR print server
configuration, the Windows 2000 side is quite easy (XP should be relatively
the same).

One possible disadvantage of LPR in our case is that with large documents to
print, it can take a while, especially multiple copies.  this is because, as
I understand, it has no where to store the information on the remote box so
for every copy it has to get the info from over the network again.  However
if the Linux box is hosting the printer that problem should be eliminated.

Other than that, LPR seems to be much more reliable than the other types of
network printing I have tried (Novell and Micro$oft), and therefore I prefer
it.

Geoff Kooistra