Re: changing timeout value of dhcp

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, John Lucas wrote:

> what file or files do I need to modify to change the timeout value for
> dhcp if I don't have a network connection? Also waht is the
> CORRECT syntax of the entry??

Make sure to distinguish between dhcpcd (the client) and dhcpd (the
server).

I'm not sure about this, but probably what you need to do is to edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup so that the lines which pass arguments
to dhcpcd include the -t <no. of seconds> as specified in the manpage
below.

The appropriate lines in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup seem to be
line 140
 DHCPCDARGS="$DHCPCDARGS -n"
which you could change to
 DHCPCDARGS="$DHCPCDARGS -n -t 30"
to give yourself a 30 second timeout.

There should be a nicer way of doing this though.  I'm not sure where
DHCPCDARGS is being set, and it might be more appropriate to edit it
there, but the above method should work.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley

 man dhcpcd
      -t <timeout>
              Specifies  (in  seconds  ) for how long dhcpcd will
              try to get an IP address. The default  is  60  sec-
              onds.   dhcpcd  will not fork into background until
              it gets a valid IP address  in  which  case  dhcpcd
              will  return  0  to  the parent process.  In a case
              dhcpcd  times  out  before  receiving  a  valid  IP
              address  from  DHCP  server dhcpcd will return exit
              code 1 to the parent process.