Root access to x windows

Hello,
I have somehow during a large number of updates in a short period of
time managed to turn off  roots ability to use X display as the default.

first:

[10:28:43] [scottmel XXXX ]$ xterm <<THIS worked
[10:28:52] [scottmel XXXX]$ su
root's password:
[root XXXX]# xterm
Xlib: No protocol specified

Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the
root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running
the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the
executable.
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s

I then exit root and use su - just in case so it uses root path

[root XXXX root]# xterm
Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the
root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running
the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the
executable.
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s

trying to use graphical tools is now very hard...

[root XXXX root]# printtool&
[1] 21881
[root XXXX root]# No display information -- gtk_init not called

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

as a user I could do xhost +localhost then as root export DISPLAY=:0 but
this open security complications and is awkward as I ssh around a few
machines.

A default installation does allow the x window access.  Where should
Look to fix this?
--
Sincerely,

Scott Melnyk