Re: Modem

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:12:07PM -0700, jim wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 12:25, dTd wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:38:49 -0500
> > Aaron Konstam <akonstam Trinity Edu> wrote:

> > > US Robotics modems always work for me.
> > > --
> >
> > ME also, as far as modems go, I've had excellent luck with the 3com/usr
> > Internet Gaming Modem, a full hardware pci modem.

I'm using a MultiTech MT5600BA (V90) external serial modem.
This thing is built like a tank, has a LDC display with builtin
menus for configuring it right from its own front panel. Works
well on a difficult phone line that caused a lot of trouble for
a Diamond Supra V90 external that I paid more for than the Multitech.
(thanks to a good auction on ebay!)

No experience with USR or ZOOM, but definitely if you want reliability
go for a serial external. Note that I said SERIAL, not USB. There
are reports that some USB modems work with Linux and some don't.
Avoid the hassle and stay serial.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex fcshome stoneham ma us -----------------------------
                         While we were still sinners,