RE: Samba - Install and use

One thing at a time.  I configured Netscape to point at
the Proxy IP address and socket 80 but don't get a
login prompt. Windows computer's, configured to point
at the Proxy server, give a login prompt when Internet
Explorer is opened. Why can't I login to my Proxy
server via Netscape on RedHat 7.3?

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Derek Engstrom wrote:

> Samba isn't for internet browsing thru proxies.  Samba
> is used to connect to
> windows file systems and for windows clients to browse
> linux/unix file
> systems thru explorer.  If you're trying to get out to
> the net you should
> install netscape, lynx, mozilla, or some other
internet
> browser.  If you're
> trying to copy samba from a windows computer you can
> share it on a windows
> machine and then mount the share in linux/unix via
> "mount_smbfs".  If you
> are trying to connect from a windows machine to your
> linux machine you need
> to install samba (either put it on a CD, floppy, or
FTP
> it to linux) and
> then edit the smb.conf and setup a share, then using
> Windows Explorer or the
> Run command in windows do \\#.#.#.#\sharename\  and
> login that way.  Samba
> is not used to pass thru proxies...
>
> Thank You,
>
> Derek Engstrom
> IT Department
> Cal-Air, Inc.
> (562)843-0262

Proxy
> and access the Internet.  I must be doing something
> wrong; Samba can connect to other Windows computers
but
href="http://mail.canada.com/jump/http://smb";>http://smb</a>.

> Chris Croswhite wrote:
>

> > Are  you trying to use netscape through your proxy
> > server? -  Then you
> > need to configure netscape
> > (Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Proxy).
> >
> > The only time you need samba is for
sharing/retrieving
> > files from a CIFS
> > server (Windows machines).  If you want to connect
and
> > move files
> > between your machine and the windows machine than I
> > would recommend that
> > you download the newer release of samba 2.2.5.On
Mon,
> > 2002-10-21 at
> >

> > 21:14, Steve Snyder wrote:
connect