Re: GRUB not seeing new kernel after upgrade

David Vu wrote:

I recently upgraded the kernel on a RH7.3 machine to the new RH errata
kernel 2.4.18-17.7.  The upgrade went fine until the machine was rebooted,
at which time, the GRUB boot-up menu does not show the new kernel at all.

I suspect this is caused by my using software RAID on all file systems, /
and /boot, on the machine.  Both / -> /dev/md0 and /boot -> /dev/md1 are
RAID1 partitions.

I tried reinstalling GRUB onto /dev/hda and /dev/hdc to no avail.  The
system just doesn't see the new kernel entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf.  It
appears software RAID is preventing the boot process reading the new GRUB
config.

I can't google any thing up about this problem.
Anybody seen this behaviour before and know how to work around this?
Is this a bug in the kernel RPM installation routine or GRUB?

TIA, David.

I just upgraded 7.2.4.18-10 to 18-17.7.x via up2date etc... I lucked out and for unknown reasons checked my grub boot congfig file... it was stripped down to boot win98... i rewrote it... works ok now...