Re: Kernel: out of memory

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 10:23, Ma, Thanh(IndSys, GE Interlogix) wrote:

> > We have a Dell PowerEdge 2500 with 256 MB RAM and 500 MB swap
> > running an Informix database. Every night it tries to sync data with another box.
> > The box has been frozen for the past few mornings. Yesterday, looking a the log,
> > we found a few messages: "Kernel out of memory". How do I go about troubleshooting
> > what the cause was before attempting to add more swap and/or update to the latest kernel ?

Are you trying to sync data using rsync?  A friend of mine had a very
similar problem recently when he'd set up a cron job to rsync the
contents of one server to a directory on another.  Problem was that he'd
misconfigured logwatch on one directory such that it doubled the number
of files every night (was rotating /path/log.*).  Several nights and
many thousands of files in that one directory later, the server began to
run out of memory every time rsync ran.  Fixing the logrotate
configuration solved his problem.