Re: Email from a network

Derek:

Thanks for the follow up. I can telnet a linux machine running RH 7.0 from XP machine but I cannot connect using telenet to the linux machine running RH 7.3. I tried changing hosts.access on the linux 7.3 machine but it still won't allow remote access. I am stumped. Any further suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Derek Engstrom wrote:

Try setting your netscape email to the ip address of your linux machine on
port 25 and use whatever non root account you have as your login/password
and see if you have sendmail configured correctly.  As long as you have port
25 open and sendmail configured right it should be able to connect on port
25 and send an email.  You can also test this by "telnet"ing to the IP
address of your linux computer like this:

From Windows XP...
1.  Start - run
2.  telnet 1.1.1.1 25    (where 1.1.1.1 is the IP address of your linux
machine)
3.  You should see something like "sendmail 13.6.6" or something.  Type:
helo user host
4.  Type:  Mail From: user host com
5.  Type:  Rcpt To:  user host com
6.  Type:  data
7.  Type:  this is a test
8.  To end the "data" or "actual message of an email" type
(ENTER)PERIOD(ENTER
9.  Type ^M.^M
10.  Check your email on your linux machine.

Thank You,

Derek Engstrom
IT Department
Cal-Air, Inc.