Re: 1 NIC routing...

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Rob Tomlin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is the following setup possible :
>
> PC1 (192.168.1.3) --+- LINUX (192.168.1.2)
>                     |         |
> PC2 (192.168.1.4) --+         |
>                         (192.168.1.1)
>                            ROUTER
>                       (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
>                           INTERNET
>
> I want all internet traffic to be proxied through 192.168.1.2.

I've got a setup similar to this.  I've configured proxy-arp on the LINUX
machine, and have it doing filtering / accounting / etc for the other
machines in the subnet.

> I will set up ROUTER to drop all traffic not sourced from 192.168.1.2

You could use iptables on the LINUX machine to redirect all outbound
http traffic to the SQUID isntance on that machine, if that's what you're
looking for.  Otherwise you can put together a more comprehensive filter
set with iptables.

> If this possible how does it work and how do I do it ???

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're trying to do.  I
originally wanted to make the linux machine a router as well, but it ended
up being complicated by the fact that it had to sit in the middle of the
subnet.  Proxy-arp was perfect for my needs.

--
Michael D. Jurney
mike jurney org