Re: basic questions

Josiah Ritchie <jritchie bible edu> writes:

> I would imagine that ls /bin/* or ls /sbin/* would take care of that.
> /bin and /sbin are where you will find most of your commands.

Add to this /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/X11R6/bin,
/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin. In general, look at the $PATH
environment variable. That's not all though - there are quite a few
initialization and configuration scripts under /etc.

> Linux has several bins due to its ancestory in Unix when all the
> commands wouldn't fit on a single drive.  It just hasn't been
> changed yet.  I assume this has to do with incompatibility with
> other commands (big headache, small worth).

Actually, a lot of it has to do with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
(FHS). Looking at that (just type it into Google) will be very helpful
for the new emigrant from the DOS/Windows land. It is in fact much
more structured and logical (OK, IMHO) than the mess that Windows
makes of the filesystem, with its multiple roots and total lack of
any discernible structured approach.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt NOSPAM computer org
First binary search algorithm         - J. Mauchly, 1946