root user not found --> vipw

Dear all,

As a newbie I have a big problem, with my root user
name. when i try to install postfix in my RedHat 7.3,
i'm edited the password file with command # vipw, and
so does the group file ( # vi /etc/group ). I am doing
this again and again, but my postfix didn't running
well.

The problem arised when i reboot the computer, and try
to login as root user. The error mssg is : root user
not found.

There is somebody will help me please ......
How can i recover my root login??