Re: open letter to RH management

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, John P. Conlon wrote:

> There is a saying in the military that goes: If it ain't broke don't fix
> it!  This in the Linux world means that if your current vrrsion is doing
> what you need, don't upgrade.  I recently walked into a small business
> that is running DOS 5 and no Windows or other desk top management
> software and he is making a huge profit with what he has.  School
> districts are anotner example they consistently use machines and
> software until the machines are physically impossible to repair and do
> just fine.  So if what you are doing requires an update then put up and
> do it.  If what you are doing does not require an update then quit griping.

The reality of software is, it's broken.

In the case of that DOS 5 box, it obviously doesn't matter, but as soon as your
computer has intercourse with others, it matters a great deal.

If you put up a Red Hat Linux 6.2 box, with a plausible array of services, and
apply all available upgrades, it will be cracked, and very likely quite
quickly.

Already Red Hat is releasing security-related fixes to Red Hat Linux 9.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.