Re: IP Aliasing On Different Subnets

Quoting "redhat_valhalla yahoo com au" <redhat_valhalla yahoo com au>:

> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Peter Maag wrote:
>

> >     Hey All,
> > Quick question for ya.  I have a machine that has one NIC(eth0) and
> multiple IP
> > addresses which are all in the same subnet.  What I would like to do is add
> an
>
> I'm curious. As one who used to do that, why?
 The server is located at a datacenter, that is the newest IP that they had
available.

> > additional IP address to eth0 (so it would be: eth0:5  or so), but with an
> IP
> > that is in a different subnet, which also has a different gateway.
> >
> >    A) Is this possible?
> Yep.
> You need to take care if you use DHCP though.
>
> >    B) If it is, how would I go about configuring the netmask/new gateway?
>
> Same way you did the others.
>
> --
>

> Cheers
> John.
  Thanks for the help guys, I got this straigtened out and everything is
working just fine.

  Peter

> Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.
> Join the "Linux Support by Small Businesses" list at
> http://mail.computerdatasafe.com.au/mailman/listinfo/lssb

data centerwould be: eth0:5  or so), but with an
> IP
> > that is in a different subnet, which also has a different gateway.
> >
> >    A) Is this possible?
> Yep.
> You need to take care if you use DHCP though.
>
> >    B) If it is, how would I go about configuring the netmask/new gateway?
>
> Same way you did the others.
>
> --
>

> Cheers
> John.
  Thanks for the help guys, I got this straightened out and everything is