Re: GRUB Not Booting New Kernel

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jamie Van Randwyk wrote:

> > On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Jamie Van Randwyk wrote:
> >
> > > Recently I updated my RedHat 7.3 kernel using up2date.  My grub.conf
> > > and menu.lst files are changed to reflect the new kernel version.
> > > GRUB continues to boot my system using the default (original) kernel
> > > though.  I change grub.conf and menu.lst to forcibly boot any of the
> > > other kernel versions that 7.3 has had (commenting out the original
> > > kernel version), and the original version still loads. I am using a
> > > fairly standard 7.3 install except for using software RAID 1 (and
> > > having /boot on the RAID 1 as well).  Any help in getting GRUB to boot
> > > my newest kernel??
> > >
> > > -Jamie
> > >
> > You can control the kernel version, or OS, that grub will boot by
> > default by changing the "default=1" line.  Just remember that Grub
> > counts the entries starting with 0, and not 1.
> >
> > Mikkel
> > --
>
> That's my point.  Nothing that one can do (short of deleting grub.conf)
> changes the kernel version that GRUB boots.
>
> Why??

    Try showing the list your grub.conf file with the default line set so
that you think it should boot the new kernel, and tell us what kernel it's
actually booting. Maybe someone will see why it's not doing what you want.
Are you able to boot into the new kernel by selecting it from the GRUB
screen?

--
Steven Yellin