Re: GRUB Not Booting New Kernel

<snip>
> I'm pretty sure that I'm using GRUB.  I've looked into the MBR and
> verified this as best I can:
>
> # dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 | strings
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> ZRrI
> D|f1
> GRUB
> Geom
> Hard Disk
> Read
>  Error
>
> The reason I say that I'm "pretty" sure is that the MBR seems to
> indicate so, but this computer is at a remote location. One of the techs
> reported that the GRUB splash screen no longer shows.  He sees syslinux
> 1.52 booting from /dev/md5, then a 10 second pause to type in "Linux
> <params>," then "Boot: " and 10 seconds before the kernel starts
> booting.

Except for the /dev/md5 part, it sounds like you're booting from a floppy
bootdisk.

> In addition, trying to uninstall LILO looks like this:
> # lilo -u /dev/hda
> /etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directory

What error do you get when doing rpm -e lilo?

> So, I'm not getting the GRUB splash, nor the LILO splash, nor what seems
> to be the LILO command-line.

Try un-installing/re-installing grub. If you just try to upgrade or
freshen it, chances are that if you have a configuration file that's
corrupt it will remain that way through the upgrade.

Good luck with it,
HTH
--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.