X question: Changing root cursor?

How can I change the root cursor and cursor color and Gnome Panel cursor and cursor color?

Or where exactly can this info be found? I found a number of references to X appendices but they point to non-existent pages, etc.

I've tried xsetroot for the root cursor. it is not permanent.

I can find no info on what resources to define or set.

I need to change the cursor for mobile use. The default cursor is too small and invisible against the dark background.