Cable modem and DHCP Client Dynamic IP - RESOLUTION!

It's been a few weeks, so allow me to re-cap:

My ISP installed cable modem, my 2 Windows machines successfuly accessed it, but my Valhalla machine could not.

The one Windows machine that had successfully used the cable died, so just for giggles I took the NIC card from it and put it into the Valhalla machine, re-configured using the GUI tool `neat', entered the DNS server addresses, the DHCP server address, the default gateway address, configured Dynamic IP via DHCP, restarted the network service, launched Mozilla, and it worked!

I looked at my cable modem contract, it had a clause about a 2-workstation limit on using it.

That must mean either the cable modem, or one of my ISP's network components strictly enforces a 2-workstation limit, and also must have recorded the MAC addresses of the first 2 NIC cards which successfully accessed the cable modem.

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> I understand that you want to address the problem wih dhcp. However, dhcp
> is a stand-in to automate network addressing when compared to the
> stability of static addressing. Hostnames get replaced by the dhcp
> handshake, for one thing, which can make your life a little more difficult
> when using any number of other protocols. Personally, I try to assign
> static addresses on any network and leave the dhcp for portables like
> laptops.

Hostname being replaced depends on how you have the system set up. If I
remember right, if you set the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network, then
dhcp will not override it. You can also set the host name in
ifcfg-eth0. I believe you can also configure things so that your
hostname gets assigned to the IP address from dhcp, but I have not
played with it. (I run my own dhcp server and name server for the
network, so hostname and IP always match...)

> > When I launch Netscape or Mozilla, they try for a while (I see the NIC
> > card's TX light blinking while they're trying), but eventually I get a
> > message that the default Home web site could not be found.
>
> Sounds like hostname lookup failures. I don't suppose you're using dns on
> this little network. What are you using in host.conf?

The nameserver is probably being provided by dhcp, and so it is not
being set correctly.
> Keep in mind that this may not be the problem. IIRC, your rh box cannot
> initialize the interface from dhcp on boot, correct?
>
> > Next steps, anyone? It seems as though I have a couple of approaches:
> >
> > 1) Get dynamic IP acquisition via DHCP working (desirable).
> > 2) Stick with static IP and proceed stepwise through each problem
> > encountered.
>
> I would stick with the 2nd choice, although I can see how not having
> something working can become an obsession...

The problem with this is that if he is running something like a Linksys
or Netgear router, then the nameserver information being provided by his
ISP is given as part of the dhcp information, and if he is not running
dhcp, he doesn't get the changes. So he will end up having to get that
information from one of the windows machines or the router when it
changes, and manualy enter it on the Linux box. It is not hard to do,
but what usualy happens is that when the ISP makes the change, he will
probably have forgoten about this, and will not know what broke. After
all, ISPs do not change this information that often, but they do it
often enough that it will be a problem in the future...

Mikkel