Re: Problems with Red Hat 7.3

Hi Luigi,

> I running Red Hat 7.3 in a IBM Netfinity 5600R and from two weeks ago to
>  today the server is getting frozen, I can't login(ssh,webmin,etc) but
> the ports were enabled and you can do a ping to the server. I don't know
>  what's happen , please someone can help with this issue or inform me
> about a worm.

Two weeks is a long time to let something like this go... I'm assuming
that you don't have immediate access to the console of the system, which
you may need to do soon.

What services were your running on the machine (mail/dns/web, etc.)?
Are those services still running?
Were you running X on the system, even as a client?
Have you been diligent in updating the system within hours of a security
advisory?
Do you have an IDS in place, and if so, what does it consist of?

Very simply, if you don't have a decent security policy in place, there
are chances that you wil get hacked. Even with strong security policies in
place, there's no guarantee. A worm (or worse) is possible, but nobody can
tell with any degree of certainty without direct access to the system.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.