FTP slow...

I am running a RedHat 7.x server with Wu-FTPD 2.6.2-5. When I start the
server FTP runs very quickly for hours. After a while, logging into the
server slows down. After login file transfers work fine. I have read the
reverse DNS lookups can cause this, but I don't understand why it would slow
down gradually. What can I try? Any help would be appreciated!

Chris