Re: [novalug] Re: [dclug] RAID board and Red Hat/SuSE

j a leo juno com wrote:

HI Maxwell,

Your solution seems to be an excellent one, but
It is far beyond my capabilities. I wouldn't know how
to remove the RAID drivers and turn it into a dumb
ATA card. Wouldn't such a move make the ATA/100
card irrelevant and put me back to a simple 2 channel IDE
Primary/Secondary situation?

You should never do master slave when you are doing raid. If one drive fails the another drive on the channel will also fail. Of course the promise driver will lock up your system if you lose a drive any way.

Does Red Hat 8 (2.4.18-19)
(I think that is Mr. Ball's version) provide for RAID 1 in software?

You can use a fasttrak card under RH 9.0 as a normal ide controller. Simply do the following:

1)Go into the promise bios, and create a single array for each drive. This will allow you to boot from the drives.
2)Install using the software raid support in the redhat installer. Be sure to put your swap on raid as well.
3)Make sure you use lilo instead of grub. Grub doesn't understand software raid well enough to be easily installed on all drives of the array.

I did as you suggested and checked out the 3Ware RAID cards. The 4 drive solution is $300. I'm currently 100% disabled and unable to work, so even if they do work with Windows and LINUX, I don't think I can afford one right now.

The reason the 3ware card costs so much more is that it's a real raid controller. The promise fattrak controller is merely an ide controller with some bios hooks for booting. The promise controller does raid in the driver.

Thanks for your generous ideas,

John Leo

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:16:17 -0400 (EDT) Maxwell Spangler