Re: CD or NETWORK images

> Hi everyone, top of the morning/afternoon/evening to you, depending on
> where you live!
>
> I have a cluster here at work, running Redhat 6.2, 16 machines, 2
> servers, 14 clients.  One of the servers is the main server, in use for
> 80% of the day, and the other is a backup server, to be promoted if/when
> the main server fails (both servers are identical in hardware/software).
>
> Its time for me to upgrade the cluster to Redhat 7.3, and I'm fishing
> for information to make it quick and painless.
>
> I was thinking of pulling out one of the servers, and one client, and
> installing 7.3 on each first.  As only one server is in use at a time,
> the other being the backup server, this would take care of the server,
> being that I could simply swap the 6.2 server to the 7.3 one, and
> install 7.3 on the backup server at a later date.  As for the clients, I
> was thinking of installing 7.3 to one client, then making an image, to
> be burnt to 13 bootable cds.  Which of course could then be put into
> each of the remaining 13 machines, booting, then simply renaming the
> machines, and altering IP information.  Note, all hardware on the client
> machines is identical.

You can chose upgrade rather than install on each machine. This will take
care of some of your configuration issues, which is one of the most
important things. It won't take care of all your server issues, however,
there's still some hand massaging to do.

You're going to make the images with mondo, or something else? You can
also use tar or dd to copy directly over to the drives. Just mount the
drives on the mother machine, partition (use unique names, like home1) and
transfer all the data over. Boot into the machine with tomsrtboot or the
redhat rescue cd and rename the partitions and away you go. Probably
faster than using the cd's.

<snip>

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.